May 29, 2011

Fishing

We decided to have a family day together yesterday. It was so nice outside, I thought a trip to the park would be in order. I gave Garren the option: Francis Beatty Park in Mathews, or the Whitewater Center where we could go and watch the whitewater rafters. He chose Beatty. Then he made motions like he was fishing. We laughed and I dismissed the idea.

I had some chores to work on around the house, and about an hour later when I came back inside Nancy told me Garren wanted to ask me something. He said "Can I please go fishing?"

Now, fishing is not one of my favorite things to do. The lines get tangled, the hooks are sharp, the worms are slimy, and then when you actually catch a fish...blech...who wants to grab that thing? So I told him "Yes." Then I called my dad for assistance.

We loaded up and headed to the park. When we got there we found a nice little spot in the shade and spent the afternoon watching as the fish continuously removed the worms from our hooks. Kelsey caught one little fish, but other than that we had lots of nibbles.

It was nice to be out, to relax, to enjoy the weather, and enjoy each other.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya'll need to come down to our pond one day and catch bream as fast as you can throw out! Our grandchildren love it. Aunt Juanita caught her FIRST fish there in her whole 79 years! I never knew she hadn't caught a fish before. Never too late! Glad to hear Garren is getting out more and doing some of the things he enjoys. Love to all of you...
Cathy and David Kelly

Anonymous said...

So good for Garren, perhaps a day without a lot of therapy...and to give a chance for Garren to feel like a teen again...please be encouraged....please remember how far you and God have all come, and that God has not forgotten you or the prayers sending His way...thanks for all the times you are trying to do, Garren, and for not letting your frustration tear you apart....remember, you are loved more than any amount of words can say...by God!!! Praying until you say stop, and then we will pray some more! Love, Sandy & Russ

tammywingate said...

yeah Garren!! we LOVE to fish!!all day...all night...when we go home to Mississippi to visit with my folks FISHING is the only plans we make!! (but I have to agree with Pastor Geoffrey when it comes to taking the fish off that hook...yulk..and the worm...back home they use crickets and I can't even go there!!!) but still love to fish!! glad Garren had a chance to get out and ejoy family in the park! Garren you are doing great!!! You have come a long way and God is still answering prayers!
Still praying!!
<>< t

The Via Colony said...

That's awesome! So glad you got to spend some family time together outside:)

wendypoovey said...

Sounds like you guys had a well needed "normal" family day. Although maybe not so normal for you with the fishing. I think that is a great way to spend the day together. So glad that Garren wanted to get out for a while. We continue to pray.

Kitty @ Four Toms and a Mom said...

How many times does it take my four boys to push me to do something out of my comfort zone... like fishing or something. It always stretches me and brings me to see the world in a new way. Isn't that how it is with Garren and all of us? I pray that Garren sees it-- sees how powerful he is through Christ in his weakness. I pray he continues to let the Holy Spirit nourish him. He made so much progress in so short a time. I pray that if progress on the outside takes a little break, progress on the inside continues stronger and stronger and Garren flips his situation-- sees what a wonder life is and what tools he has at his disposal to make a difference for Christ. Prays he sees how anointed he is-- that he feels the honor in his purpose in life.

Chris Hogan said...

Continuing to pray for Garren's progress and most of all, peace for all of you in the midst of each day.

Sara G said...

So glad you all had an outing with relaxation and good times. Thank you for sharing with us!!