March 09, 2009

Are You Replicating?

One of the things I've learned over the last several years while on staff at Southbrook Church is that I cannot do everything that my job requires of me.  My best work happens when I have someone who buys in and takes ownership alongside of me.  Things work out much better if I can let go and transfer ownership of something to someone who wants to run with it.

It's not always easy.  I like things done a certain way.  You might call me a perfectionist (you wouldn't be the first).  And when someone doesn't do something the way I invisioned, the tendency is to pull it back, to correct the 'mistakes', and make sure it gets done 'properly'.

This weekend in our pre-service meeting I challenged everyone to try something in the next couple of weeks.  We always complain that we are short on volunteers.  There are so many people sitting while so few are doing the work.  How do we get people to move from their seats and start serving?  So I challenged everyone.  Identify one person who is not currently serving.  Introduce yourself and ask them to join you in your ministry.  Do not plug them into an 'empty slot'.  Do not ask them to serve in your ministry.  Ask them if they would simply join you, follow you around, and help you out with whatever it is you are doing.  

There are several reasons why people don't get involved in church ministry (at any level).  They may feel like they are not needed.  After all everything seems to be working just fine.  They may be afraid that they have nothing to offer, they aren't good enough to do what needs to be done, they are inadequate for the job.  Ot maybe they don't know how to get involved.  My goal is to remove all of these fears and excuses.  If you are already serving, invite someone to see what you do for a couple of weeks.

I am looking forward to seeing what happens next!

No comments: