April 01, 2008

Mid-Life, One Month to Live, or High Gas Prices?

Why is it that we always feel like we need to justify everything we do? Do you know what I mean? Why can't we ever just do something, just because?

I have been wanting to buy a motorcycle for about 10 years. It looks like fun, they sound cool, I just thought it would be fun to drive. So for about 6 or 7 years I worked on convincing Nancy that I should have one. And it took that long.

Then about a month ago, after taking out a second mortgage to fill up the gas tank in my pick-up truck, I did some simple math. If I had a motorcycle that got 50 mpg, and drove the truck 80% less, I would save over $150 a month! Within a year the motorcycle would pay for itself! So I 'justified' my decision by saying that I was going to save money on gas.

We just started a brand new series at church (www.southbrookchurch.com) called "One Month to Live." What would you do if you knew you only had one month to live? Would you change anything? Would you go out and do something you've always wanted to, but never did? Maybe having a motorcycle is partly that for me. What if I decided to just play it safe, and never try the motorcycle thing?

So I did it! I found a great deal on a used bike on Craigslist. I bought it, I got my permit, and now I can cruise the streets on my new wheels. It's great - I love it!

Just don't ask me why. I'm not sure if it's my age, or if it's part of the answer to One Month to Live, or if it's really just as simple and practical as saving money on gas. I just did it because I wanted to!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do we call you now? The "pastor on two wheels", "the missionary on a motorcycle", or CHIPS (Christ's helper in preaching services)? Do you need a Southbrook decal for your bike? Are you starting a new club called the "Southbrook Riders"? So many questions :)

Congrats dude and stay safe!!

My name is Stephen said...

Whenever I want to do something, and I need to justify it, I ask myself:" WWJD", ( What Would Janes Do), then I make my decision. It has worked so far