November 14, 2007

Personal Devotion

If doctrinal truth is the foundation on which our worldview is built, then we need to understand how to build that foundation. The fact is, the foundation is being built and has been built over the years - with or without any effort of my own. I either intentionally built the foundation, or it gets built for me. Every experience, every relationship, every book I read, every person I talk to has some input on my worldview - the foundation on which I base my decisions.

Personal Devotion – You will spend your personal time devoted to the things that support what you believe. If you believe there is no God, then to what do you devote your time? If you believe that money is the goal of life, then you will likely devote yourself to making more of it. If you believe that fun and excitement is what it is all about, you will spend a lot of time chasing fun and excitement. If you believe in a personal God who loves you and desires to have a relationship with you, then you will likely spend time getting to know this God through His Word – the Bible.

While there is only one way to God (through Jesus Christ His son) there are many ways to grow in our relationship with Him. It all starts with His Word - the Bible. Personal devotion for the Christ follower means we spend time in the Bible, reading, praying, meditating, memorizing. It is His word spoken to us. We have access to the very words of God! If I want to build my foundation on the solid rock of Jesus Christ, I must spend time digging for truth. The bible is the source of all truth. I must devote time to the study of the Bible.

With so many resources available today, it is not hard to come across a devotional guide to help us get started. The bottom line is this - does the book, study guide, or devotional book base its teaching in the Bible? If it does, use it! If not, then find something else. Be very careful what you choose to spend your time doing, your personal devotion time. Seek first the kingdom of God, and all these things will be added to you.

No comments: