April 06, 2007

Where do you live?

The other day I was sitting on my couch, looking around the house. I thought to myself, "Is this house the perfect house for my family?" The layout is ok. It could be better. The furniture, well, we've had it for a few years now. What could I do to improve things? We could consider moving. Maybe we could find that perfect house.

Then it hit me, as I realized, this house is not the perfect house. Of course it's not. Jesus said Himself "I go to prepare a place for you." This world is not my permanent home. This house will one day burn, with the rest of the houses, and everything else on earth. It's all going to go up in smoke. It's nice to have a nice place to live, but if all I do is put effort into making this temporary house perfect, I am wasting a lot of energy and resources.

We are only here for a short time. There are much more pressing matters than the perfect floor plan.

We must keep our eyes on the goal, focusing on the Kingdom, rather than the insignificant trivialities all around us.

No comments: