December 10, 2009

It's For The....Pets? Really?

I was snooping through the shopping bags that Nancy and the kids brought home from the store the other day. One had pet supplies: a doggie brush, doggie treats, and a little doggie toy. So, being the miser that I am, I asked: "What are these for?" The response: "They're for a pet drive at Kara's school." A pet drive? Yup, you heard it right...a pet drive. It's that time of year. Pet's everywhere are gathering around to be close to their families, to celebrate the most wonderful time of the year. So Kara's school wanted to reach out to those less fortunate pets, the one's without families. Let's collect pet toys and treats so the lonely doggies and kitties can feel included in the cheerfulness of the season. We certainly don't want them to feel left out.

Are you kidding me? Someone hold me back, my palms are getting sweaty as I type this (I hope that's not bad for the computer). My neighbor's house just foreclosed. I know people who don't know where their next meal is coming from. Many are without jobs, barely able to keep their families clothed. And we're doing a pet drive?

I was meeting with a friend the other day at a coffee shop. The TV news was talking about the Global Warming Summit. Again - hello? There are people without clean water. There are people without enough food to eat! Why are hundreds of people gathering to talk about climate change (as if we can really control any of that) when there are millions of people dying because we care more about our SUVs and pets? Why?

I am not opposed to pets - I have a dog, a fish, a cat and two turtles. We've done the hamsters and Guinea Pigs. I am opposed to misplaced and wasted resources.

Why not focus a little bit more on people than pets and the weather? Can we come together and do that?

No comments: