November 09, 2009

Clean My Temple

Saturday we observed 24 hours of prayer for our church. From midnight to midnight people came to church in 30 minute shifts to cover our church and our community with prayer. It was a special time. It was awesome to be reminded throughout the day that someone right now was at church praying. Very cool.

As I was taking my turn, I opened my Bible to the book of John. We've been studying John on Sunday mornings. When I got to chapter 2 I read about Jesus cleaning out the temple. It says that he made a whip of cords, and then went on a rampage, turning over tables, pouring out money, chasing animals and people out! Pretty intense. I finished the chapter and started to pray. I prayed that people would realize their need - that they are all sinners in need of a savior. Then I was reminded that I too am a sinner in need of a savior. In fact, I needed to be cleaned out like the temple!

The Bible says that our body is a temple. The Holy Spirit comes to live within true believers. My body is the temple of the Holy Spirit! It struck me that I needed Jesus to make a whip of cords and drive out the evil thoughts, evil actions, pride, lust, anger. I needed Jesus to clean my temple!

At Southbrook we want to help people find Jesus in a personal way. We want to take people to the foot of the cross, and introduce them to the One who can rescue them from themselves. But until we get on our knees and confess our own sins, we will be ineffective. We will be held back from our full potential in Christ.

So let me ask you - do you have unconfessed sin in your life? Is there something in your temple that needs to be driven out? Ask Jesus to deal with your sin. Allow Him the freedom to clean house. We will be amazed at what happens if we do.

No comments: