May 19, 2008

Walk in All His Ways

The natural result of love for God is a desire to walk in His ways. Joshua reminded the people to walk the all of God’s ways (Joshua 22:5). Love Him, and walk in His ways.
This is what it means to be in God’s will. If God is so good and loving, why does He allow such horrible things to happen? We look at the senseless murder of two innocent children and we say “Why God?” We may never know the answer to such questions. But if we love God, we must trust Him. If we trust Him and love Him, then we must walk in all his ways, wherever those ways might lead. Wherever that takes us.
We tend to look at our lives and think: “I did everything I was supposed to do, why did this happen?” That is not trust in God. The correct, and I’ll be the first to admit, most difficult thing to say is this: “I love you Lord, and I lift my soul to worship you. I trust that you are in control. I wish I didn’t have to go through this pain, but because you are God, I will trust you, and I will walk in the way that you lead me.”

Remember the words of the beloved Psalm 23:

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

The Great Shepherd leads and guides us, not just through good times, but through the tough times as well. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will trust in Him. Even when life seems to be caving in all around us, God is leading us. Trust Him. Follow Him. Lean on Him only. There is no hope anywhere else. No other religion or system of belief gives any hope in troubled times.

We must not only love God, but walk in all His ways. And this can only truly happen when we obey His commands.

No comments: