August 23, 2007

What Do I Believe?

Have a look around. We (in America) live in a pretty amazing place. Some refer to America as a "Christian" nation. Others not so much. Did you know that 74% of Americans claim to be Christian? The fact is, we are terribly confused by the very term "Christian." We've (and by we I mean the church) turned it into a term that can be applied to anyone who wants it. What makes someone a Christian? Apparently living within 10 miles of a church! 74% is a lot of people.

My biggest problem isn't with the fact that 74% of us call ourselves Christian. My issue is with the lifestyles of the 74% of people. Jesus said that everyone would recognize that we are his disciples if we love one another. Now try this. Go to the grocery store and watch people in line waiting to check out. I don't see a lot of love for one another going on. Drive in traffic for a few minutes and watch how people act. Love one another? If we are supposed to tell that someone is a disciple of Jesus by their love, then I must only be seeing about 26% of Americans on a daily basis. It seems that the majority of Americans are out to love themselves! Of course, these are my own observations, I could be terribly mistaken.

Let's look at another arena of life. Personal morality. Over and over we are exhorted in the Bible to live pure and holy lives, to abstain from sexual immorality, to respect the property of others, and so on. Have you watched TV lately? Check out the news. Look around you. The divorce rate is well over 50%. There is no difference between churched and unchurched. Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it seem like those who call themselves Christians would have a better track record than the other 26%?

Here's my question to you. What do you believe? If you call yourself a Christian, then ACT LIKE ONE! Please? Don't flip off the parking lot volunteer as you leave church. Don't attack the police officer who is directing traffic in front of your church (you think I'm making this up? read this).

"They will know you are my disciples if you love one another."
Do you call yourself a Christian? Great! I am glad you are a part of the family of God. But for the sake of Christ, please don't call yourself a Christian unless you really believe and intend to be obedient to His Word! If you aren't going to love one another, then don't claim to be something you are not.

No comments: